Google image search represents a opportunity to build traffic through Google and is especially relevant to online retailing companies.
When using images on a site, follow the following best practise to maximise the potential for image search inclusion:
- Use descriptive alt and title attribute tags for each image
- Caption images using adjacent text for context
- Ensure image file uses a standard format with image file added with an appropriate extension, i.e. .gif, .jpeg, .png
- Use a smaller thumbnail linking to a larger image on a separate page with its own title and caption
- Use keywords in image file names
- Enable enharnced image search in Google webmaster tools